I recently spent some time with Leon's family in Canada. His aunt, Ruth, was kind of enough to make some delicious and tasty foods while we were at her home. One of her meals included an egg and veggie casserole. The dish was so yummy that I asked her to share her recipe so that I could share with all of you. I made some slight changes to it, nevertheless, it still tastes delicious and I hope you all give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 15 Egg Large Egg Whites (3 Yolks)
- 3 Tablespoons of shredded Parmesan Cheese or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup of chopped red Pepper
- 1 Cup of chopped sweet Onions (Vidalia Onions if available)
- 1 Cup of chopped Broccoli
- 1 Cup of chopped white Mushrooms
- Pink Salt and crushed Black Pepper to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Cooking Spray or Coconut oil
Grease a 7x11 inches Pyrex oven pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil cooking spray or Coconut oil and set aside. Pre-heat Oven to 325 degrees. Saute chopped vegetables in a non-stick pan and add a pinch of pink salt and black pepper (or season to taste). Add the egg whites and 3 egg yolks to a bowl, season with a pinch of pink salt and crushed black pepper and mix well. Add cooked veggies to already greased Pyrex pan and add the egg whites mixture evenly on top. Top mixture with parmesan cheese and place in oven. Cook at 325 degrees for about 40-45 minutes or until golden and set. Enjoy while warm!
P.s original recipe called for chopped saute bacon, turkey bacon or Canadian bacon. If you want to add your favorite bacon to this recipe you can add bacon after you have added the egg mixture to pan and top with parmesan cheese or sharp cheddar cheese.
This recipe makes 8 servings.